Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Lot Has Happend: Thursday

Thursday was quiz night at the local Irish pub and ten of us went. Two from Ireland, two from America, two from Spain, one from Austria, one from the Czech Republic, one from France, and one from Latvia. We were sooo sure that we would have some sort of an advantage given our diversity and numbers, however we still lost. I had my first Guinness and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, given, generally, I do not like beer. The cider, of course, was amazing. Some of the quiz question answers were wrong, but whenever someone would try to correct the mc, he would accuse them of cheating. It was fun. We all met up at the Lindwurm before we headed off to the bar because not everyone knew where the pub was. I was the only one to take the bus and was waiting around for them to show up. There were some people setting up tents for a organic festival and I sat down on a bench to watch them work. After a couple minutes on my park bench a guy came up and asked if he could sit down on my bench as well, unable to think of a good reason why not a said, "yeah, of course" and proceeded to fiddle with my phone. He asked me something in German and, unable to understand him, informed him that I spoke only a little bit of German. To which he informed me that he spoke only a bit of English. Nodding politely, I went back to perusing my new, crappy, phone. After a couple long moments he asked me where I was from, to which I replied, "die USA." Looking impressed, he nodded his head slowly and said, "Wow!" I asked if he was from Kärnten, the region  of Austria in which Klagenfurt is the capitol, and he informed me that he was. Then lagged a silence, with him on his phone translator and me fiddling with the conversion app on my phone figuring out gallons to liters. "Do you have a boyfriend?" he said slowly, phonetically reading the words on his translation app. "No." "Why?" "Ich brauche ein nicht." "Nicht?" "Nicht." I had informed him that I did not have one because I did not need one. Furiously, he began to type words into his touch screen and I looked about for my friends that where growing increasingly late by the millisecond. Then he said confidently, having preread his translation, "Do you want a boyfriend?" with his eye brow cocked suggestively. Right as he said this to me I saw Jed, the guy from Wyoming ride up on his bike across the square. Turning to my bench partner, I looked him in the eye and gave him a very definitive "No." After which I stood up, said "Caio", and walked towards the growing gang of international students on their bikes making their way to the Lindwurm and Hercules' claw cock.     

1 comment: