Thursday, September 8, 2011

Euro Spar (the grocery store)

In need of toilet paper, soap and other common household goods, I walked down to the grocery store. After walking around for a bit, I realized that everyone but me had a grocery cart. This was because I came into the store from the parking garage downstairs and not outside. I went to go grab cart and realized something else, one has to pay to use a cart. Unable to figure out how it worked, I stood around awkwardly until an old man came up and I asked for help. After a bit of misunderstanding and fumbling on both of our parts, I gave him a euro and took his cart. I found almost everything I needed except for milk. I had to buy calcium enriched rice milk… which I can honestly say I do not enjoy, but will drink anyway. I ended up not having to buy almost any utensils because the people who had my room last left all of their kitchen stuff. I started to check out when I realized that the cashier did not have any bags. I did not have any bags either. After trying to ask her if she had any bags we both realized that we were not going to be able to understand each other. I put everything back in my cart left it at the front of the store to go buy giant trash bags. As I was going through her line the second time the lady behind me reached down and grabbed a paper bag from the front of the conveyor belt. I had already gone through and bought my giant trash bags, so I tried to stuff as much stuff I could into a large trash bag before going through her line again to by a paper bag for the more delicate merchandise. It was quite an ordeal. So was walking back to my dorm with a large trash bag that kept slipping through my fingers and a much too heavy paper sack. But it worked! And I will never have to go back to buy things in bulk again… or I will know someone with a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment