Saturday, September 17, 2011

Carinthia/Kärnten

Today we took went on a long tour of Carinthia, the region in which Klagenfurt is. The German word for Carinthia is Kärnten. It all was so incredibly gorgeous. The castle that we visited we really cool and had a great view, however it had never housed an actual family and was created to ward off the Turks trying to invade the region. It housed a multitude of soldiers, so I had trouble romanticizing a giant castle from the middle ages full of secluded soldiers at the top of an unusually tall hill. I did have fun looking at all the portraits that lined the museum walls and figuring out what time period they were painted by scrutinizing the subjects' clothing. The picture above is a of a small city that we visited that still has it's mote as well as wall that surrounds the city. We climbed to the top of the hill that overlooks the city. It was a long day with a lot of hiking. When we got back to our rooms, the guy from Kansas stopped by to see if we would have liked to join him in the city center for a drink, however I declined, citing tiredness.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blogs for the 14th, 15th, 16th and today. They just got to my computer today! It sounds like you are doing great. That is good to know. I hope you have a good week. I love you! Papaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through fashion....an interest or a career. Mom

    ReplyDelete